Rhodes has been blessed with many, wonderful, long stretches of beach.
The nortwestern side of the island, from Rhodes town and the cosmopolitan Ixia down to Mandriko and Skala Kameirou, has large beaches developed for tourism.
On the Southeastern shore are the equally developed beaches at Kallithea, Afandou, Tsambika, Vlycha, Lindos, Lardos and Gennadi.
On the rest of the island you will find many small sandy coves, almost hidden, such as Glyfada, Paliochora, Kopria, the small beaches of Monolithos down to Kalamos, Kerameni Bay and the exotic beaches of Prasonisi.
The west coast of Rhodes is subject to shore winds and can be rough, but is a windsurfer’s paradise.
Blue flag beaches in Rhodes
Many beaches in Rhodes have been awarded the European Union blue flag.
The blue flag is an environmental award for clean beaches and clear waters. All blue flag beaches are evaluated each year.
- Afandou – One of the big villages on the island. The golf course of Rhodes is situated in this area along with a long beach
- Archangelos or (Arhangelos) – The second largest town on the island
- Faliraki – Nice beaches, a lot less winds than on the west coast and really good public transport.
- Gennadi Around 64 km from Rhodes Old Town and nearby to Prasonisi, attracts several keen surfers. Among the last unspoiled stretches of coastline left on Rhodes.
- Haraki (Charaki) – Small former fishing village located next to Lindos. A chain of restaurants surrounds an enclosed beach.
- Ialysos – Blue waters, a seemingly endless organized beach, big hotel complexes as well as smaller friendly ones, shops of all kinds, and many night-clubs. The ideal conditions of the region, important international windsurfing competitions often take place here.
- Ixia – West coast resorts, close to Paradisi and Tholos, nearby to the airport and Rhodes city.
- Kalithea – snorkeling and resort hotels.
- Lardos – the market square of that town has restaurants and shops, nearby to Lindos.
- Lindos – Picturesque village, site of important ancient acropolis. One of the best beaches in the island.
- Pefkos – A smaller tourist resourt close to Lindos. Originally started as a small collection of farms and private residences, but has grown into a town in its own right.
- Rhodes city – The biggest city on the island and seat of the local government. Beautiful beaches in front of the Casino and in Psaropoula.